Dental braces can be problematic at times, particularly when these are loose and fragile.
Loose braces can be handled in ways easier than you can think of. First, let’s learn about the reasons behind loose braces.
What causes braces to become loose?
Anything from the placement of your dental brackets to your eating habits can cause your braces to become loose. Several other factors can result in loose brackets, which may include:
- Bracket attached to a wrong surface such as porcelain or silver filling
- Mouth injury of any kind
- Improperly brushing your teeth
- Rough use of toothpick
- Consuming the wrong food
- Unhealthy oral gestures such as biting nails, or chewing pens or any hard food
- Weak attachment of the bracket with the tooth
- Accidental placement of braces wire that got wet with your saliva
Now that you are aware of what leads to loose teeth with braces, it’s time to take a look at how to fix your loose braces bracket.
Tips to fix loose brackets
Start with examining your mouth and see if your braces wire is attached to the brackets. If yes, let it be. If you can see it sticking out, use a cotton pad to push it back into place.
Here are some other tips to fix your broken or loose dental brackets:
- Use salt water to rinse your mouth on a regular basis and heal it
- Consume soft foods such as yogurt or boiled eggs
- Say no to hard or sticky foods such as carrots, or apples
- Make sure that the bracket does not rub on the gum and use orthodontic wax to hold it in place
- In case of dental brackets-caused injury in mouth, take a painkiller or prescribed topical pain reliever to alleviate your pain
- In case the bracket falls off, try to safely remove it using wire clippers or nail clippers or tweezers
- You can use a pencil’s eraser end to softly put the braces wire in position
If you are not in control of the situation, consider calling your orthodontist.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Orthodontist
Depending upon the level of discomfort your dental braces are causing, you need to fix an appointment with your orthodontist. If your archwire needs to change, your orthodontist will inform you and ask you to wait for a few days.
If it is urgent, tell your orthodontist if you have your bracket or not. This helps them to be prepared in advance to fix your loose brackets.
Loose braces are a common phenomenon among patients. The best way to fix it is to take care of it without delay. One of the best ways to prevent your braces from coming loose is to eat right. In addition, adopt good oral habits and consult your orthodontist when needed.